Chicken and Butternut Tray Bake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
- 2 x Waitrose Duchy Organic 4 free-range British chicken thighs, skinned if preferred
- 2 Waitrose Duchy Organic red onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Cajun spice blend
- 1 medium organic butternut squash, about 1kg
- 400g Waitrose Duchy Organic baby potatoes, cut into chunks if large
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 28g pack coriander, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a large roasting tin, and fry the chicken thighs in batches to lightly brown. Lift the thighs out onto a plate. Add the onions to the tin, and fry for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and then the flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add 600ml water, the bouillon powder, chilli and Cajun seasoning. Lower in the chicken pieces and bring to the boil.
2. Transfer the tin to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. While this is cooking, halve and deseed the squash and cut into chunky pieces, discarding the skin. Add to the roasting tin with the baby potatoes. Cover with foil and return to the oven for a further 1 hour or until the vegetables are very tender and the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat.
3. Stir in the crème fraîche and coriander, and season to taste before serving.